This 2-day training course is for anyone who needs to write clear, well-structured business documents. From reports and standard operating procedures, to proposals, business cases and presentations.
This course is for you if you write common business documents like reports, standard operating procedures, proposals, business cases, presentations or emails.
What will I learn?
Using the principles of Structured Writing, you will learn how to get started quickly and develop business documents that get the results you need. Use expert tools and techniques to:
- identify your document purpose and target audience
- structure and organise your information
- use structured writing as a tool for managing quality and time
- use shortcuts and technology to write more efficiently
- consolidate and edit your writing.
Even if you write reports and documents on a regular basis, the course helps you understand how everything fits together. It is structured to be able to better plan and execute your writing.- Workshop participant, New Zealand Transport Authority
I have found this workshop useful, relevant and engaging.- Workshop participant, New Zealand Transport Authority
What is structured writing?
Structured writing is a modular, topic-based approach to developing documents that are easy to write, read and use. It speeds up writing time, improves reader comprehension and enables content reuse.
This course enables you to:
- write clear content in less time
- organise your content so it is easy to read, understand and refer back to
- write to a professional standard and improve your written communication skills.
What does it cover?
- Writer and reader issues
- Goal setting
|Analysis and planning
- Understanding your audience and document purpose
- Content analysis
- Needs analysis and planning
- Writing a needs analysis
|Principles of clear business writing
- Clear writing principles
- Making your writing easy to write and read
- Writing clearly
- About structured writing
- Types of information
- Structuring and sequencing
- Typical document structures
|Designing and presenting content
- How good does your writing look?
- Presentation guidelines
- Incorporating graphic elements
|Editing and testing
|Speeding up the writing process
- Shortcut keys and templates
Who teaches it?
Ruth Hamilton is an experienced Trainer and Technical Documentation Consultant. Ruth has extensive commercial experience and has been a regular lecturer of degree students in technical writing and online documentation at Auckland tertiary institutes. She has a thorough understanding of the challenges people face when they communicate through writing. Ruth’s training style is engaging and hands-on to optimise and consolidate learning.
What do I get?
The course materials include:
- Comprehensive Clear Business Writing manual containing exercises and examples, and
- Follow-up support including a free 1-2 page document review.
Inhouse and customised training
We can hold an inhouse training course or customise one for your group. Talk to us about your needs.
Course dates and registration
Please contact us to discuss your course requirements or for further details. Public training course dates:
|Tue, 21 November 2017 – Wed, 22 November 2017
|Tues, 6 March 2018 – Wed, 7 March 2018