This 2-day training course is for people who develop or maintain large amounts of written information such as manuals, user guides, standard operating procedures, training materials or knowledge bases.
What will I learn?
You will learn the principles of Structured Writing, a proven set of tools and techniques for:
- analysing the purpose of your documentation and the needs of your audience
- organising information to meet audience needs, including different information needs of different users
- presenting content based on information type
- creating modular content for efficient reuse and ease of maintenance, and
- structuring content so that it is easy to navigate and information is easy to find.
Best course I’ve been on in a while. Tactics provided an in-depth look at how to structure process and procedure documents.- Workshop participant, Genesis Energy
After the first day, I felt that the penny had dropped for me, and I realised that now I have a method and techniques at my disposal in the most challenging of projects. I can now see the wood for the trees!- Luke Pivac, Genesis Energy
An extremely stimulating and interesting training workshop — the information learned will be very useful in my and my colleagues' work.- Dee Hogenes, MAF
What is Structured Writing?
Structured Writing is a modular, topic-based approach to developing documents that are easy to write, read and use. It speeds up writing time, improves reader comprehension and enables content reuse. More about Structured Writing…
This course enables you to:
- tackle your documentation project with confidence
- analyse requirements and plan your approach
- organise large amounts of content so users can navigate easily and find information quickly
- write more and better content in less time, and
- develop modular, reusable content that is easy to maintain.
What does it cover?
|Analysing and planning
- Identifying your audience and purpose
- Analysing content
- Writing a needs analysis
- Outlining and planning
|Effective writing principles
||Proven, research-based tools and techniques for clear and effective writing
- About Structured Writing
- Types of information
- Structuring and sequencing
- Typical document structures
||Best practices for presenting your content so that it is easy to read and understand
|Editing and testing
||Tips for editing and testing your content
|Speeding up your writing
||Using shortcut keys and templates
||Applying your knowledge
Who teaches it?
Ruth Hamilton is highly regarded as a teacher and trainer. She has lectured degree students in Technical Writing, and Developing Online and Web Documentation at Auckland tertiary institutes. She has extensive commercial experience having worked as a documentation consultant, technical writer and trainer for a wide variety of companies and organisations.
What do I get?
The course materials include:
- Structured Writing manual
- Follow-up support including a free document review, and
Inhouse and customised training
We can hold an inhouse training course or customise one for your group. Talk to us about your needs.
Course dates and registration
Public training course dates:
|Wed, 27 November 2019 – Thurs, 28 November 2019
|Tues, 3 December 2019 – Wed, 4 December 2019
|Tues, 18 February 2020 – Wed, 19 February 2020
|Tues, 28 January 2020 – Wed, 29 January 2020
Contact us for more information or to discuss your requirements.