This 2-day training course is for people developing or maintaining large amounts of written information such as manuals, user guides, policy documents and online knowledge bases.
Technical writing is a modular, topic-based approach to documentation that is easy to write, easy to read and easy to use. It speeds up writing time, improves reader comprehension and enables content reuse.
What will I learn?
You will learn technical writing techniques for developing content which is user focused, accessible and easy to update including:
- effective analysis of the documentation project, purpose and audience and how they affect your content
- powerful organising techniques for efficient content development, and
- skills to create structured content that is easy to update and reuse.
This course enables you to:
- write more effective content in less time
- organise large amounts of content so users can find information quickly and easily, and
- create information that users will rely on.
This course is for you if you develop and maintain:
- user guides, policy and procedure manuals or standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- compliance and training documentation, and
- knowledge bases
After the first day, I felt that the penny had dropped for me, and I realised that now I have a method and techniques at my disposal in the most challenging of projects. I can now see the wood for the trees!- Luke Pivac, Genesis Energy
An extremely stimulating and interesting training workshop — the information learned will be very useful in my and my colleagues' work.- Dee Hogenes, MAF
What does it cover?
|Analysing and Planning
- purpose and goal, and
- relevant content.
|Principles of Effective Business Writing
||Making your writing easy to read and easy to write.
||Structured writing techniques and tools to ensure your writing is:
- clear and concise
- well structured
- easy to read and understand, and
- reusable and easy to update.
|Structuring and Sequencing
||Developing strategies to structure and sequence topic effectively.
||Designing and presenting your content in a standard form.
|Editing and Testing
||Editing and testing types and tips.
|Speeding up Your Writing
||Using shortcut keys and templates
||Applying your knowledge
Who teaches it?
Ruth Hamilton is highly regarded as a teacher and trainer. She has lectured degree students in Technical Writing, and Developing Online and Web Documentation at Auckland tertiary institutes. She has extensive commercial experience having worked as a documentation consultant, technical writer and trainer for a wide variety of companies and organisations.
What do I get?
The course materials include:
- Structured Writing manual, and
- Follow-up support including a free document review and,
Inhouse and customised training
We can hold an inhouse training course or customise one for your group. Talk to us about your needs.
Course dates and registration
Please contact us to discuss your course requirements or for further details. Public training course dates:
|Wed, 25 October 2017 – Thurs, 26 October 2017
|Mon, 30 October 2017 – Tue, 31 October 2017